Monday, September 29, 2008

A Productive Week, Courtesy of Chaos

  It's been a crazy week for many of us in the Southeastern US.  The refineries and gas lines that went down with Hurricane Ike's destruction created a major shortage in my town of Matthews, NC, near Charlotte.  There have been cars lined up for blocks, people sleeping at gas stations while waiting for tanker truck deliveries, and frustrated and angry people pushing their out-of-petrol cars in the huge queue. It's a circus here.

This means that I basically stayed home all week.  I did my car pool duty with the kids, but skipped the errands.  And, let me tell you, it's amazing what you can accomplish when you can't go anywhere.  I've easily doubled my normal word-count for the week and had more time to do some plotting.

To add to the Little House on the Prairie feeling (it doesn't take much to make me feel like I'm roughing it), our Internet access has been up and down all week because of some nearby construction. Lack of web surfing has also contributed to my productivity.  You won't believe what you can accomplish on a computer without the temptation of going on the Internet.  Maybe you can duplicate the sensation by unplugging your router.  Give it a try! :) 

This being said, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there really will be the "major shipment" of gasoline that our mayor and governor have been promising.  Where one week was productive, two weeks might result in my going completely stir-crazy. The trickle-down effect to my family could be frightening. ("When Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.")

Interesting blog entries I've read lately (when my ISP allowed me):

Excuses for Procrastinating and Rebuttals (The Renegade Writer Blog)

Ten Common Reasons for Rejection (Mysterious Matters Blog)

Pimpin' Your Book: How to work effectively with your publicist (Fine Print Literary Management)

Insert [Self] Here (Mysterious Matters blog)

No comments: