Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Looking For A Good Read?

I admit it, I spend way too much time on the internet. E-mail, social networking, blogging, website maintenance looking up obscure facts on Wikipedia (Who played Yeoman Rand on the first season of Star Trek?), they all suck up more hours of the day than I care to think about. Just imagine how much I could get done if I weren't hunched over a computer all the time, like I am right now.

That being said, I've found a site that's positively addictive. It's called Goodreads and if you like to read books, review books and discuss books, forget about reading the rest of this blog and click here right now.

Like the Myspace social network site, members "friend" each other on Goodreads. You can rate books and post reviews, as well as see what your friends are reading and reviewing. There are also groups where members can discuss books, as well as movies and just about anything else. My favorite group has been "Books I Loathed" which gave me a chance to say what I really thought about Oprah pick The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen and The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller.

I'm happy to say that none of my books, nor any by members of the Conspiracy have been mentioned in that discussion, although I did see Joyce and Jim Lavene's Peggy Lee Garden Mysteries mentioned in the group "Favorite Cozy Series."

I find that I'm reading more books, with the intention of reviewing them for Goodreads. I've become a more critical reader. Rather than clicking on stars, or saying "great book!" I want to put into words what made this a great book, or a not so great book, or a downright awful book that I wouldn't use as a doorstop.

It's also a good place to connect with readers who might possibly want to read the books I've written, but I'm having such a good time logging on and talking about books that I tend to forget that's why I joined in the first place.

So go ahead, join in. And by all means add me as a friend when you do.

Judy Nichols
www.judy5cents.com

No comments: