Monday, December 1, 2008

'Tis the season

You know, I don't like this time of year. At least not as a writer. I feel like I should be writing but I don't really want to write. From Thanksgiving to January 1, I just want to shop, party, and hang out. I really don't want to do revisions or answer copyeditor questions (no offense to you copyeditors out there).

But sometimes we have no choice. Like any other job, there are things that have to be done.

I read once about a well-known writer who dove into the ocean (apparently in some warm climate) on January 1 each year then started to work on his next book. He had it finished by October but didn't start any new projects until January 1 came again. It meant he didn't write or revise over the holidays. Ever.

I don't know if I will ever have that kind of freedom in my schedule but it sounds good. The best I can manage now is to do what has to be done between bouts of partying and shopping. I know it will be January 1 again sometime and I'll be ready to write again. Just not right now. It's Cyber Monday, you know!

Joyce Lavene

No comments: